FAQ on social security in general

Living in Europe, Working in Europe | Day care, schooling & family related issues, Entry conditions/visas, Health insurance, Medical care, Pension rights, Unemployment, Work permit | Germany

In which country are mobile researchers liable for social security deductions?

According to European Union law, you are required to pay social security contributions in the country in which you are employed, i.e. Germany. In exceptional cases, you can apply to stay in the French social security scheme if you are only staying in Germany for a limited period of time and still have legally-binding relations to a French employer, e.g., you are on leave of absence and have the right to return to your position in France.

Only people who are employed are obliged to pay social security contributions. Those who have a fellowship are not liable to pay social security contributions.



Disclaimer: All the FAQs and the information on which the answers are based are carefully monitored. However, we cannot assume any responsibility for contents. All the contents are of a general nature and cannot deal conclusively with every individual case. They are not necessarily complete, comprehensive or completely up to date. They neither constitute legal advice nor legally-binding information and cannot be a substitute for expert advice.