Information for refugees who wish to study in Germany





Information for refugees who wish to study in Germany

Due to numerous activities on different levels (German central government, governments of federal states or particular universities), the information given on this website might be not up-to-date. If a piece of information is imperfect or a link is broken, please contact us under


One of the main requirements for admission to a higher education programme in Germany is the so-called "Hochschulzugangsberechtigung" (HZB), or higher education entrance qualification.

The Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) of the Standing Conference of German Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (KMK) provides information on foreign school-leaving certificates and their recognition for admission to higher education in Germany.

For those who already have a foreign higher education degree, an official Statement of Comparability can be issued. Referring to this statement, German institutions of higher education, which are responsible for recognizing foreign degrees and academic credits for the purpose of university admissions and access to advanced study, can decide on recognition of foreign educational qualifications.

For applicants with a foreign higher education entrance qualification, the University Application Service for International Students - uni-assist - evaluates, on behalf of numerous German universities, education certificates and provides information about whether the admission requirements for a university study in Germany are met.

No matter what, it is a good idea to contact the concerned institution of higher education first in order to clarify how to proceed with the recognition of your foreign qualifications.

In general, holders of foreign higher education degree may directly apply for a Statements of Comparability. Information on the fees for Statements of Comparability can be found here.

If documents confirming higher education entrance qualification or an enrolment for a higher education programme in the home country have gone missing while fleeing, German institutions of higher education are requested to check and assess whether the admission requirements are still met.

Such an assessment is to be based on the legal framework adopted by the Standing Conference of German Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs in its Resolution (dated 03.12.2015 and available in German only) on how to deal with applicants who cannot prove their higher education entrance qualification or an enrolment for a higher education programme in their home country.

Furthermore, since 2007 the European Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications concerning Higher Education in the European Region has come into effect in Germany. Section VII of this Convention deals with the recognition of qualifications held by refugees, displaced persons and persons in a refugee-like situation.

For the practical verification of the higher education entrance qualification, the European Recognition Manual can be taken into account. The manual describes how the educational background of refugees, displaced persons or persons in a refugee-like situation can be reconstructed involving those – often incomplete – documents and supporting evidence that the applicant is able to provide. In addition, the assessment procedure could also include specially arranged examinations, interviews with staff of higher education institutions in order to verify whether the eligibility requirements for admission to higher education are fulfilled.

In Germany, the majority of higher education institutions are financed by the state and charge low or no tuition fees. An overview of tuition fees for every German federal state gives the Website Some universities waive tuition fees for refugees. Please contact the Welcome Centre or the International Office of the university concerned for further information.

Academic refugees enrolled as students at German higher education institutions may be eligible for funding in accordance with the "Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz" (Federal Training Assistance Act) or "BAföG".

According to § 8 of the BAföG (available in German only), third country nationals may apply if they are

  • recognised refugees;
  • stateless people;
  • foreigners who have been granted a temporary suspension of deportation (in accordance with the section 60a of the German Residence Act if they have had their permanent residence in Germany for at least 15 months on a legitimate basis.

Anyone applying for an international course is not required to demonstrate German language skills. Instead, a certificate/proof of knowledge of another language (normally English) is required.

For further information we recommend contacting the Welcome Centre of the institution of higher education in question.

Apart from international study programmes, courses at German universities are generally held in German. Foreign applicants are, therefore, required to take an examination proving their German language skills.

Applicants interested in studying at a German university can find information on German language certificates accepted for admission under The information is sorted by type of university/higher education institution, place of study, course of study and degree.

According to § 3 respectively § 4 of the Framework Regulation on German Language Exams to Study at a German University or an Institution of Higher Education (in German) adopted by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany, the DSH (German language test for admission to university for international applicants) or the German as a foreign language test (TestDaF) are accepted as proof of sufficient German language skills.

The DSH can only be taken in Germany and is autonomously administered by universities. Applicants interested in studying should contact the Welcome Centre of the respective university for more information on where and when the examination will be held and how much the participation fee for the DSH examination is. DSH examinations usually take place at the respective university three to four weeks prior to the beginning of the new semester.

The TestDaF examination can be taken either in Germany or at one of the 400 test centres in 90 countries worldwide. It takes place six times a year. The examination dates are set by the TestDaF Institute. This institute also provides information on the examination fees.

According to paragraph 8 of the Framework Regulation on German Language Exams to Study at a German University or Institution of Higher Education, it is possible to demonstrate sufficient German language skills with the following language examination:

Goethe-Cerificate C 2 respectively. Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS) from the Goethe-Institut.

The German Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) gives an overview of language courses offered especially for asylum seekers. With the help of the integration course navigator, local organizations offering German language courses can be found.

For further information, please also refer to the section language courses on our homepage.