ORGANISATION/COMPANYCologne University of Applied Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDComputer scienceEngineeringMathematics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE17/04/2017 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Gummersbach
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK39,83
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2017
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER722734
Application deadline: 16.04.2017 - Reference number: 1001EU/17
The TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) offers a fulltime PhD research position for a period of three years at Faculty of Computer Science and Engineering Science in Gummersbach (Germany) starting September 1st, 2017.
PhD position - High Efficiency Many Objective Evolutionary Optimisation Methods
This scholarship is offered within the UTOPIAE (Uncertainty Treatment and OPtimisation In Aerospace Engineering) training and research network funded by the European Commission through the H2020 funding stream.
When faced with real-world optimization problems in aerospace transportation, several important challenges have to be resolved. Uncertainties affect the performance of candidate solution, hence requiring optimization methods that yield robust solutions. The cost of experimentation or simulation only allows for a limited number of evaluations. The problems may have mixed-integer search spaces. Finally, a large number of objectives may have to be optimised simultaneously.
Hence, it is important to develop and analyse efficient algorithms for the solution of multi and many-objective expensive optimization problems in aerospace transportation.
Within this framework, the objectives of this ESR scholarship are:
• To build an effective many-objective optimization loop for robust optimisation.
• To identify promising techniques for handling many-objective optimisation tasks for aerospace applications.
• To identify a framework for integration of techniques for many-objective optimisation of large scale expensive problems.
• To integrate such methods for large scale robust design optimisation problems with uncertainty quantification techniques.
• To develop a simplified simulator to accelerate the testing/tuning loop, providing simplified simulators based on RANS CFD solvers.
• To test the considered techniques on the design of aerospace transportation systems, optimal energy-driven aircraft design and RLV design.
• To identify most promising approaches capable of handling alternative applications from the project’s field.
Part of the research project should be carried out in two secondments of three months each. The first secondment is planned in the first year at Airbus Operations GmbH. The second is planned at the end of the second year at the Centro Italiano Ricerche Aerospaziali (CIRA; Italian Aerospace Research Centre). Both secondments will deal with the application of many-objective evolutionary optimisation techniques to the optimal energy-driven aircraft design under uncertainty.
The training programme will involve attendance of the UTOPIAE network formal training events (Global Virtual Workshops) and enrolment in a PhD programme of TH Köln and partner universities in Ghent and Ljubljana.
Prof. Dr. Thomas Bartz-Beielstein and Prof. Dr. Boris Naujoks will supervise this position.
The UTOPIAE research programme aims at training, by research and by example, 15 Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) in the field of Uncertainty Quantification and Optimisation. The ESRs will be provided with the training and skills needed for pursuing successful careers in academia and industry and for increasing the innovation capacity of the EU. Through the ESRs individual research projects, the UTOPIAE network will develop fundamental mathematical methods and algorithms to bridge the gap between Uncertainty Quantification and Optimisation, and between Probability Theory and Imprecise Probability Theory for Uncertainty Quantification, and to efficiently solve high-dimensional, expensive and complex engineering problems.
Conditions of employment
• We offer a 3 year full-time PhD contract. The first 6 months will constitute a probation period.
• TH Köln was awarded the logo “HR Excellence in Research” by the European Commission for its commitment to create excellent working conditions for researchers, and to promote academic careers. The university is currently implementing all principles laid down in the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
• We offer a dynamic and challenging job in an internationally-oriented organisation within a congenial, open working environment.
• You will participate in the research training sessions in the framework of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Project.
• Financial conditions: 3072,68 €/month living allowance + 600€/month mobility allowance + 500 €/month family allowance (if relevant). These amounts are gross amounts, subject to taxation according to each host institution national law. Consequently, the net salary results from deducting all compulsory (employer/employee) social security contributions as well as direct taxes (e.g. income tax) and insurance from these gross amounts.
Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs) shall, at the time of recruitment by the host organisation, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
How to apply
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, submitting the following documents:
- a CV
- a cover letter
- two letters of reference
You can apply for a maximum of 2 posts within the network, please indicate your order of preference.
Position-related questions to: Prof. Dr. Thomas Bartz-Beielstein; T: + 49 221-8275-6391
Informal enquiries about the post to: email@example.com
Please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website for additional job details: http://www.utopiae.eu
Please visit: www.th-koeln.de/stellen
Applications from women are particularly encouraged. In accordance with the North Rhine-Westphalian Equal Opportunities Act, women will be given priority consideration if deemed equally suited, qualified, and in possession of equal professional achievements. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will also be treated preferentially.
We offer our researchers an inspirational work environment. Technology, Arts, Sciences reflects our academic diversity, our interdisciplinary approach, and our internationality. With this concept we consider ourselves a model for the future in teaching and research. We foster a culture of enablement and cooperation between colleagues. International scientific standards, gender equality and inclusion are the guiding principles of our human resources development. We are a certified family-friendly university.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentComputer science: Master Degree or equivalentMathematics: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
• Proficient knowledge of English and good communication skills (both written and spoken)
• Good knowledge of at least one computer programming language
• Excellent scientific writing skills, LaTeX
• Good capacity of working both in a team and independently
• Publications (including MSc thesis), preferably on themes related to the planned research work
• Experience in optimization, especially w.r.t. many-objective problems and robustness
• Advanced programming skills (R, Python, C, C++)
• Experience in Optimization or reliability based optimization
• Background on statistical methods and machine learning
• Experience with computational fluid dynamics
• Awards (for example "best conference paper", "best student paper", "award to MSc thesis")
• University experience in different countries or work experience in international groups
• Education Level:
- Engineering: Master Degree or equivalent
- Computer science: Master Degree or equivalent
- Mathematics: Master Degree or equivalent
• All researchers recruited in an ITN must be Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs) and undertake transnational mobility (including, but not limited to secondments with other UTOPIAE partner institutions, conference attendance, outreach and engagement work and any other appropriate work requiring travel as deemed necessary by their supervisor).
• For all recruitment, the eligibility of the researcher will be determined at the time of their first recruitment in the project. The status of the researcher will not evolve over the life-time of the project.
• Mobility Rule: At the time of recruitment by the host organization, applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organization (Germany) for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
EURAXESS offer ID: 184177
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.