Skip to main content
Working in EuropeTaxation/salariesGermany

FAQ on taxation


Fellowships are cash benefits, which are exempt from taxation under certain preconditions . Non-cash benefits do not fall into this category. If accommodation is provided free of charge, the value may play a role in assessing whether the fellowship is exempt from tax because the fellowship may be worth more than is necessary to fulfil the research task or cover the necessary costs of living and training.

Journeys home may be claimed as additional expenditures for double households. A prerequisite for claiming a double household is that the employee maintains his/her own household in his/her home town. Being able to stay with parents or other relatives is not sufficient. The employee is not considered to run his/her own household if he/she forms part of the parental household or only has use of one room in the parental household.

Art. 20, para. 1 of the German-American Double Taxation Agreement grants the right of taxation for the salary of an American university professor at a German research institution to the USA if the research stay does not exceed two years and is in the public interest, i.e., not first and foremost in the interest of private individuals or firms. To this extent salaries are exempt from taxation in Germany. Whether or not the German institution contributes to the costs of research work is irrelevant in terms of tax law. The two-year period begins on the day you enter the country in order to embark on research work.

This question cannot be answered in general terms. It depends on the specific double taxation agreements between Germany and the employee's home country. For employees from the USA, it depends on whether the salary is paid by a private company or a public authority:

If the salary is paid by a federal, state, or local US authority, it is subject to US taxation according to Art. 19, para. 1, clause a of the German-American Double Taxation Agreement (DBA-D/USA), and thus tax-exempt in Germany.

If the salary is paid by a private American employer and the stay in Germany exceeds 183 days in any one calendar year, it is taxable in Germany according to Art. 15, para. 1 and 2 DBA-D/USA. In this case, the stay in Germany begins on 15 August, which means less than 183 days will be spent in Germany between then and the end of the year. In the current calendar year, the marital partner's private US salary would therefore be tax-exempt in Germany. The stay in Germany is expected to last another 6 ½ months in the following calendar year, which is longer than 183 days. Therefore, a private US salary would be taxable in Germany in the following year. Income tax paid in Germany would be set against American tax according to Art. 23, para. 1, clause 1 a DBA-D/USA, thus avoiding double taxation. However, the marital partner can avoid having to pay tax in Germany on a private US salary by leaving the country before the period of 183 days has been completed in the next calendar year.

The 183-day rule then loses its validity retroactively. In the respective tax year, the foreigner has to pay tax on his indigenous earnings in that country from the first day of his stay, i.e. for the first 183 days, too. On proof of having paid tax in the one country, the foreigner will either be exempt from paying tax in his own country or it will be credited for this period.

Many, but not all double taxation agreements Germany has concluded with other states include special regulations exempting certain teaching and research activities that are carried out over a limited period of time from taxation in the country in which they are carried out, or allocating the right of taxation to the country of residence. In most agreements, the special regulation only applies to a stay lasting no longer than 2 years. Incidentally, the various special regulations differ significantly so that it is not possible to make any across-the-board statements; each agreement has to be examined individually: in some cases, the taxpayer must be a teacher or higher education teacher, in others not.

There are differing criteria determining which teaching and research activities and which institutions are covered by the special regulation. In some cases, the special regulation only applies to payments not originating in the country in which the work is carried out. Questions about whether teaching or research activities are covered by the special regulation should be discussed individually with the responsible tax authorities at the beginning of the stay abroad. They will examine whether the pre-conditions for applying the special regulation have been fulfilled. If they have, tax exemption will be confirmed and it will be determined to what extent income tax will be deducted in the country of domicile rather than in the country in which the work is carried out. Even in cases where tax exemption may exist, some countries still require tax returns to be submitted. In the context of the income tax return, the proportion of income covered by the special regulation must be specifically declared.

According to the German-Hungarian double taxation agreement, the right of taxation lies with the country in which the work is carried out, i.e. Germany. Hence, the income tax paid in Germany is not refundable. To the extent that Germany has the right of taxation, Hungary grants tax exemption from Hungarian taxes and to avoid double taxation.

First of all, it is necessary to ascertain whether the respective payment is considered to be a fellowship, a fee for self-employed or freelance work or an employment salary according to the regulations in the respective country. Simply being designated a fellowship, fee or salary does not settle the matter, but the circumstances as a whole do.


The next step is to examine the relevant double taxation agreement in order to determine which country has the right of taxation on the payment. According to the German-Italian double taxation agreement, for example, in the case of an Italian researcher in Germany, it depends on whether the payments originate in Germany or not. If they do not originate in Germany, they may be exempt of taxation in Germany. If they do originate in Germany, the following differentiations apply:

  • A fellowship is exempt from taxation.
  • In respect of fees for self-employed or freelance work, Italy as the country of domicile always has the right of taxation.
  • A salary from employment is liable for taxation in the country of employment, i.e. Germany. The salary taxed in Germany must also be declared in the Italian income tax return. The tax paid in Germany is then credited to Italian tax liability.


Disclaimer: All the FAQs and the information on which the answers are based are carefully monitored. However, we cannot assume any responsibility for contents. All the contents are of a general nature and cannot deal conclusively with every individual case. They are not necessarily complete, comprehensive or completely up to date. They neither constitute legal advice nor legally-binding information and cannot be a substitute for expert advice. 

Last updated: 10 January 2022