Skip to main content
Leaving EuropeDeparture conditions/formalitiesGermany

Departure Conditions and Formalities

As a German citizen you have the right to enter another Member State of the EUEEA State and Switzerland without any special formalities. You are not required to apply for a visa. Article 21 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU) and the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons reached with Switzerland on 21 June 1999 form the basis of the European legislation. However, should you wish to spend more than 3 months in another EU/EEA member state, you must report to the authorities in the respective country for confirmation of your residence permit ("Aufenthaltserlaubnis") immediately after entering the country.

Germans planning a research stay in a country outside of the above-mentioned region, i.e. neither within the EU, EEA nor Switzerland, must contact the representation of the respective country in Germany for information on the applicable regulations. The same applies to citizens of other countries currently in Germany for research stays within and outside Europe.

De-Registration when Leaving Germany

Anyone permanently leaving Germany is required to de-register with the registration office responsible for their place of residence.


EURAXESS Services is a network of more than 600 centres located in 40 European countries. As a researcher, these centres assist you and your family to plan and organise your stay in a foreign country.

Your Europe

Information on your rights and opportunities in the EU and its Internal Market plus advice on how to exercise these rights in practice. Useful information on living, working and studying in another EU country, including taxation.

EURAXESS Worldwide

EURAXESS Worldwide is a networking tool for European researchers, scientists and scholars abroad. EURAXESS Worldwide exists in ASEAN, Latin America and the Carribean, Korea, China, India, Japan, Australia & New Zeland and North America.