RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/07/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Jülich
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
IBG-3 - Agrosphäre
Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
The Institute of Bio- and Geosciences – Agrosphere (IBG-3) conducts research to improve our understanding of biogeochemical and hydrological processes in terrestrial systems. A combination of experiments, modelling and innovative observation technologies is used to bridge the gap between model, process and management scale. Its research contributes to the sustainable and resource-conserving use of soils and water and to the quantification of the effect of climate and land use change on terrestrial ecosystems. We offer a competent and interdisciplinary working environment, as well as an excellent framework in the areas of experiments and modelling.Geoverbund ABC/J is the geoscientific network in the research region of Aachen–Bonn–Cologne/Jülich. The geoscientific institutes of RWTH Aachen University, the University of Bonn, the University of Cologne, and Forschungszentrum Jülich collaborate under its umbrella. The Geoverbund ABC/J initiates and supports research projects among its different partners, promotes scientific offspring and works towards easier access of scientific infrastructure www.geoverbund-abcj.de . The competence center High-Performance Scientific Computing in Terrestrial Systems (HPSC TerrSys) of the Geoverbund aims at the use of geoscientific models on HPSC systems and has established together with the Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC) the Simulation Laboratory Terrestrial Systems (SimLab TerrSys). SimLabs are the interface between the computational sciences communities and HPC-resources at the Jülich Supercomputing Centre, operating one of the most powerful HPC-infrastructures in Europe.
SimLab TerrSys conducts HPSC in geosciences and contributes to an improved understanding and prediction of geophysical, hydrological, meteorological and bio-geochemical processes in terrestrial systems. The focus is on the development and application of highly efficient, parallel modelling tools, especially fully coupled terrestrial simulation platforms from groundwater into the atmosphere. Moreover, SimLab TerrSys provides the geoscientists of the ABC/J region with scientific and technical support for their research activities by means of its supercomputers www.hpsc-terrsys.de.Your tasks in detail:
- Coordination of and active participation in HPSC service and support, as well as research and development activities of SimLab TerrSys
- Close collaboration with HPSC TerrSys, JSC, and other SimLabs in the Computational Science Division and with JSC`s cross-sectional groups (e.g., Performance Analysis, Application Optimization, Visualization)
- Participation in ongoing HPC projects in the field of geosciences in Geoverbund
- Contribution to solutions for big data analysis in geosciences
- Further development of the Terrestrial Systems Modeling Platform of Geoverbund
If you have any questions regarding technical issues, please contact the scientific director of HPSC TerrSys, Prof. Harrie-Jan Hendricks-Franssen (email@example.com).
- A university degree (Masters) in a geoscience discipline, computer science, physics, civil engineering, applied mathematics, or related fields with a doctoral degree, as well as relevant scientific publications
- Experience in HPC and modelling, preferably in geosciences (e.g., atmosphere, hydrology, ocean, vegetation, or biogeochemical cycles)
- (parallel) programming skills with FORTRAN, and/or C/C++, and ideally also Python under Linux
- Experience in professional software development
- Experience in simulation code porting, profiling, and tuning; affinity to various aspects of High-Performance Computing is of clear advantage
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in an international, interdisciplinary team across institutes
- Experience in supervision of research projects and technical staff is of clear advantage
- Experience in scientific project acquisition and coordination is of advantage
- Very good command of the English language
- Main place of employment will be JSC on the campus of Forschungszentrum Jülich with a vibrant, international, and interdisciplinary working environment that is ideally situated between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
- Participation in national and international conferences and workshops
- Opportunities for scientific and technical training conducted by international experts
- Flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and private life
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- Employment for a fixed term of two years in a full-time position with possible longer-term prospects
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD)
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
EURAXESS offer ID: 527785
Posting organisation offer ID: 2020-162
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.