FAQ third party liability

Living in Europe | Day care, schooling & family related issues, Entry conditions/visas | Germany

There is no statutory personal liability insurance for damages caused to laboratories, neither for employees nor for fellowship holders. It is advisable to obtain private personal liability cover that expressly includes damages incurred in laboratories. Many research institutions only permit access to their laboratories once evidence of adequate personal liability insurance has been provided.

The individual researcher is generally responsible for obtaining personal liability insurance cover. However, the research institution or fellowship donor may voluntarily decide to provide insurance cover for the researcher.

The level of personal liability insurance cover is dependent on the extent to which the university itself is willing to cover the costs of the damages suffered by itself and third parties and waive the demand for compensation. This partly depends on the rules to which the university itself is subject.


Disclaimer: All the FAQs and the information on which the answers are based are carefully monitored. However, we cannot assume any responsibility for contents. All the contents are of a general nature and cannot deal conclusively with every individual case. They are not necessarily complete, comprehensive or completely up to date. They neither constitute legal advice nor legally-binding information and cannot be a substitute for expert advice.