ANGEBOTSFRIST31/08/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
EU-FORSCHUNGSRAHMENPROGRAMMH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
Title: Antimicrobial Integrated Methodologies for orthopaedic applications – AIMed
Regemat 3D is looking for an Early Stage Research Fellow for the collaborative research project AIMed in the frame of the EU Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Innovative Training Networks H2020-MSCA-ITN-2019 "AIMed: Antimicrobial Integrated Methodologies for orthopaedic applications" European Training Network (ETN).
AIMed is an innovative ETN that aims to develop a range of materials with antibacterial properties that are suitable for use on the surfaces of orthopaedic implants. This is in response to the increasing problem of post-operative infection by antibiotic-resistant bacteria. By combining several approaches to disrupt surface biofilm formation, the materials developed by the AIMed network will eventually result in fewer surgical infections, faster recovery of patients, and greatly reduced post-operative healthcare costs. The network will develop novel peptide sequences and ways of binding them to the surfaces of polymers, ceramics and metals. A complementary approach will be the development of metal ion substituted calcium phosphate coatings which can be applied to implants by additive manufacturing techniques. The efficacy of these anti-bacterial surfaces will be further enhanced by laser processing of the material to make it unattractive to biofilms (by altering the roughness and wetting characteristics). The network will carry out a thorough investigation of the properties of the new materials to ensure that they are feasible for use in future implants. This work will include the evaluation of antibacterial action and biocompatibility using appropriate models. Training of the 15 ESRs appointed to the network will be multi-disciplinary and intersectoral, with an emphasis on the need for technology transfer from academic institutions to commercial users.
As part of the position, the successful candidate will be enrolled as staff candidate for a PhD at the University of Birmingham
Type of contract fixed-term employment contract
Job status PhD enrolment program
Hours Per Week 40
Application deadline 31.08.2020
Time zone Eastern European
Envisaged job starting date 01.10.2020
Is the job funded through a EU research framework programme?
H2020 / Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions
Reference Number ESR14
Marie Sklodowska-Curie Grant Agreement Number 861138
How to Apply
HIRING INFO AND WORK LOCATION
Hiring Organisation & Offer Posting Contact Details
Organisation/Company REGEMAT 3D S.L.is a Spanish Granada based biotechnological company
Organisation type company
Street Av. del Conocimiento, 41
Postal Code 18016
Contact Person Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone +958 63 71 24
Level Master’s degree.
Main Research Field Bioprinting
Additional language (Spanish) is a preference
Website for additional job details https://aimed-itn.eu/
The successful candidates should be able to:
1. Undertake research, e.g. by planning, preparing, setting up, conducting and recording the outcome of experiments, performing data analysis, desktop research etc.
2. Participate in maintaining laboratory facilities, and assist other members of the group by sharing knowledge and expertise. Collaborate with others in an interdisciplinary environment and in close collaboration with experts from biology and medicine.
3. Actively participate within the research group, communicating and presenting research at meetings, through publications and other recognised avenues as appropriate, ensuring information is communicated to internal and external partners.
4. Contribute to research publications and presentations as required.
5. Analyse and communicate complex ideas, concepts and data using appropriate methods and packages.
6. Resolve issues and support senior colleagues in devising procedures required to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
7. Generate research output and contribute to the development of independent and original ideas as appropriate.
8. Maintain and update the area of specialist knowledge, researching and critically appraising relevant literature within the area.
9. Undergo personal and professional development that is appropriate to and which will enhance performance.
Conditions of eligibility of researchers:
ETNs recruit a specific type of researcher.
1. MUST not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting university or company for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. This time is measured from the date of signing the employment contract. Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays, and time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention are not taken into account.
2. MUST at the date of recruitment, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree. 'Date of Recruitment' means the first day of the employment of the researcher (i.e. contract starting date). 'Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience' is measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctoral degree programme.
3. MUST have a Master's degree or equivalent in Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Biomaterials, Materials Science, Biomedical and Tissue Engineering or a related field. (minimum classification 2:1).
Applicants must confirm and be prepared to provide evidence that they meet the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Eligibility criteria as specified above.
Position: (ESR14) Development of antimicrobial bioinks for 3D printing of antimicrobial medical) surfaces
Objectives: To create and optimise antimicrobial bioinks for direct 3D printing on polymer, ceramic and metal surfaces
(i) Development of formulations containing antimicrobial peptides
(ii) stability of antimicrobial peptide formulations (bioinks)
(iii) rheological properties of antimicrobial bioinks
(iv) optimisation of antimicrobial bioinks
(v) modification of 3D printer
(v) PhD thesis
A Masters degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Materials Chemistry, Biology or relevant discipline, or equivalent relevant research experience.
Hands-on experience in the synthesis of organic molecules.
Knowledge of research methods and techniques within the specialist field.
Proven ability to analyse complex information appropriately.
Proven communication skills, including presentation to various audiences.
Excellent organisational and team-working skills.
Proven ability to demonstrate creativity, innovation and accuracy within work.A Masters degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Materials Chemistry, Biology or relevant discipline, or equivalent relevant research experience.
Familiarity with peptide structures
Familiarity with computer simulations
Relevant laboratory experience
The successful candidates will receive an attractive salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for early-stage researchers. The exact salary will be confirmed upon appointment. The guaranteed PhD funding is for 36 months. In addition to their individual scientific projects, all fellows will benefit from further continuing education, which includes internships and secondments, a variety of training modules as well as transferable skill courses and active participation in workshops and conferences.
English language: Network fellows (ESRs) must demonstrate that their ability to understand and express themselves in both written and spoken English is sufficiently high for them to derive the full benefit from the network training.
As well as applying to Regemat 3D, candidates should send their CV with a Cover Letter to the coordinator via the projects website indicating for which project they are applying and provide a brief motivation as to why they wish to become an ESR. Candidates should be aware that their CV may be shared with the named beneficiaries within the consortium, as part of the application review process, to ensure open, transparent and merit-based recruitment. In addition, candidates should provide a supporting statement to demonstrate how they meet all of the essential criteria for each position.
Candidates should be aware that Regemat 3D reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
Regemat 3D is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and creating an inclusive working environment.
Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community, reflecting the consortium's commitment to equality and diversity. Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply. Employment procedures and contracts will conform to the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
The responsibility for the hosting offers published on this website, including the hosting description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.